* They are small-scale farmers who manage small areas, using mainly family labor for production, and using part of the produce for family consumption.
* 80% of the farmland in sub-Saharan Africa and Asia is worked by smallholders.
* It is estimated that there are 1.5-2B smallholders globally (18-25% of the world's population!) who survive by working the land and raising a few animals.
* Women make up 43% of the labor force of smallholders.
* Smallholders provide 80% of the food supply in their communities.